"Putting kids to bed is like herding cats" - Art

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Back to the new "normal"


Day 2 of the adventure and things are beginning to return to "normal"; whatever that is. No sense of dread of what may or may not happen; only the "calmness" of everyday life.

Everyday life that was running behind schedule as the day got off to a later than normal start. I'd like to blame that on my previously mentioned late night trip to SuperWalmart with KK but even that wasn't too bad. It was the dragging of feet over the blog post that I feel kept me up too late. Whatever the reason breakfast was on a compressed schedule but KK and Nana did a great job of getting things running. We were delighted to find an email from Kathleen/Chili/Mama awaiting us this am. This was read to the delight of all. It was followed of course by another hand written letter of encouragement from Mama to the little peppers. Breakfast was eaten hardily by all and soon KK launched into Circle Time with the kids.



After Circle Time the kids scattered to complete the unfinished morning chores before heading outside to play in the leaves. One last day of warmth before the forecasted rain from Tropical Storm Ida.

We all reassemble back in the kitchen on time for lunch. I sprang a surprise on the children as I brought home a whole order of cheese fries from Outback last night. Cheese fries from Outback are a source of no little joy in our house. I even called an audible on main course when I picked Veggie burgers for everyone also while at SuperWalmart. Ellie consumed the veggie burger with almost as much gusto as she did the cheese fries!


.

During lunch there was a public reading of the world famous Art's Chili blog. Crowd control had to be called in to keep the poor reader from being trampled as the kids all swarmed to see the photos.

After lunch it was naps and work and school. Mostly that is. With all the buzz about I.M. I had to forbid Brianna from her school work until she completed her blog post I had advertised. I just couldn't let my good name be ruined as a false advertiser.

Side note: Brianna completely set up my entire blog. All I do is type the story. And for those of you wondering what happened to the youngest two cats on the side bar (that's you Di) all I will say is see the above note.

After naps and work and school (I think we should rotate who does what some day) Sam and Ellie and I had to run a quick errand to the Post Office to get stamps to mail my folks anniversary card. Can you actually believe I not only remembered my folks anniversary but also took time to get a card and to actually mail it. What is up with me lately?

Dinner was wonderful Borscht prepared and frozen by Kathleen. Following dinner we all had a small bowl of Edy's Lite Cookie Dough ice cream. Another spoil of my trip to SuperWalmart. The kids were completely amazed that I actually shared. Sometimes I even surprise myself...

After Dinner it was stories and play in Sam's room. And after Ellie went to bed we all retreated to the basement for a competitive game of air hockey. Too much fun for words but I will say Brianna was the referee for a while and she has a real whistle in her mouth in the picture below.





Next to be herded to bed were the boys. This gave me a few moment to work on Emma's doll house with her. We set up a few things and got our bearing on what needs to be done next. Hopefully tomorrow's picture will show some progress.


Thats about all that happened around here today my bride. It seemed a fairly slow day until I listed it all out. Tomorrow is my marathon day of travel through Southern Va so Pop Pop and Nana (Mrs Pop Pop and not Nana; ask Kathleen about the names some day) are coming over to help. God Bless them.

Ciao.

Chili's Art



6 comments:

  1. Dear Chili's Art:

    This is another super fabulous and delightful post. I am not sure where to start. I am still remembering things I wanted to say about your last post. You my good husband have a wonderful gift that has been kept hidden far too long!

    It looks like all is not only well but that the family is having a very fun time.

    I am SHOCKED, YES SHOCKED, AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN SHOCKED that you remembered and sent your parents an anniversary card. And no less than completely ashamed that I was so busy with everything else that I forgot! While you are at it you could send dad a birthday card?

    I am so excited that it is pool and air hockey season again. What fun times to look forward to when I get home.

    Good thinking on the cheese fries. Elisabeth with that veggie burger is a hoot. You would have thought it was a cookie the way she is digging in there.

    Loved the IM post over at Nana's and you can count it as creative writing:)

    Good thing to mention about the blog set up. I noticed some typos and didn't want to mention them. But now you know and tell Brianna to CHECK HER SPELLING AND WEAR HER GLASSES. Also, tell her I love that she is learning so much about something that interests her and is so very useful.

    How special it is for me to check in here and see circle time happening and notes on the board like, "Use the milk up". So you all do need me for something after all (wink) iced coffee, right?

    Tell, Brianna that I recognize those pajamas and I am glad she is getting use out of them while I am away. I also am more than a little EXCITED to see you are working on Emma's dollhouse with her. Perhaps I should go away more often.

    It is good you mentioned that you were in Roanoke today as I was envisioning you at Altec Lansing and in the Philly market today. I feel better knowing where you are. Of course, I felt fine before I read your post because I had no idea I had you in the wrong state.

    Now one last thing. My toes are still cold. Give my love to Dad and Mom.

    Cheers and more than a little love to you and all the little peppers,

    Art's Chili Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Art's Chili and Chili's Art:

    I am exhausted after reading....I need a nap!

    HAHA!

    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen, isn’t this a funny thing…did you ever imagine you would be writing about your life and others would be eagerly awaiting each post? Here we get to read all about the Wachter peppers at home with their pa, and mama pepper writes for all of us about her world travels. You are becoming more and more like "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet"…a family with their own show! ☺

    Love to all!
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!
    I love the cheese fries from the Outback. I haven't had any in so long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. I know how to take a hint. Fixing your sidebar now. What? I was in a hurry, and Mrs Jackson was reading over my shoilder, and was making me nervous.

    Another very good post from the engineer. Hope things are going good in VA.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great surprises from you to the kids. It's great when kids appreciate the little things.

    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete