"Putting kids to bed is like herding cats" - Art

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Errand Day

Today was Errand Day. If I didn't know any better I would have thought that Kathleen went to Italy just to escape Errand Day. In order to keep her week as free as possible she does the majority of her errands on one day; usually that day is Thursday.

First stop was the barbershop (called the hair dresser for the fairer sex). We arrived for the appointment 15 minutes earlier. An amazing feat that I still cannot comprehend. Of course all the credit goes to "the girls" for getting everything lined up so all I had to do was drive the bus.














While at the hair dressers Kathleen and myself were trading a few emails trying to set up a good time for a live phone chat between the two continents. We finally agreed on a general time for the call.

After leaving the hair dresser it was four "quick" stops and on to our favorite fast food on the East Coast: Chick-Fil-A.



One of those four quick stops before lunch was a dash into Target to get a new phone for the house. Our old phone was probably about 7 years old and has seen better days. Between a battery life of about 30 minutes and the damage from numerous drops it was time to replace it. I end up with one of those new digital DECT 6.0 phone with a speaker phone in the handset. This would allow Kathleen to speak with everyone at once and avoid having to repeat the same thing to all 8 of us. Sound logic if I do say so myself. I know this from experience when I have to go out of town on business and call back home.

After lunch we returned home for naps and work and school. When Kathleen called I was still charging the new phone so imagine what went through her mind when I told her to "call back in 5 minutes" without explanation. Of course the reason was I needed to disconnect the old phone and connect the new phone. Fortunately I got things configured so when she did call back we all enjoyed a good chat with Mama all at the same time. It was kind of like a dinner conversation. Even Uncle Frank popped in and got in a few words.


Following our nice phone chat we had dinner and then baths. Sorry Kathleen but the schedule you left for us is becoming more just general guidelines. I can't imagine what things will be like in a few more days. Will we even remember there was a schedule? Let us pray!

After baths we went downstairs to light the woodstove. The temperature dropped this evening and the winds have picked up nicely. While the stove was catching up I caught up the children on the happenings over at Arts's Chili. They loved the pictures of baby Gabriel. And the pictures of Mama out and about in the Italian markets. We talked about the chicken but didn't really get a chance to research it as Pa is worn out tonight. I did spend a few minutes with Than helping him with his model car that needed repair. And then I spent a few more minutes drawing and coloring with Aedan. Seemed like he needed something since Emma and Than now have special projects to do with Pa.

After that came prayers and hugs and bed. The boys all slept in Sam's room tonight.


And that was day 4 of the adventure. Looking forward to tomorrow but first a good night's rest. Too bad those cold feet aren't here tonight.

Ciao.

Chili's Art

4 comments:

  1. Dear CA,

    Yet another delightful post. Perhaps you should become the official family blogger?

    How sweet it was to talk to everyone last night. I am sorry my call through everyone off schedule so much. The speaker phone was genius...yes, genius. In its defense our old phone moved with us from Merganser court, so we are looking at more than eight years old.

    And just so you know, the schedule is for your benefit. If it is not working, toss it.

    Kaitlin's hair came out nice. Was she happy with it?

    I sure would have enjoyed being by that fire with you. Me and my cold feet will be home before you know it, my love.

    Italian kisses,

    Art's Chili Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a delightful post!

    The boys look so sweet all sleeping in the same room. ☺

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to my Loves.

    I just stopped by to see those faces that make me smile before I go to bed. Tomorrow is a big day for Gabriel as they are having his dedication ceremony. Which makes it a big day for me too! I will be thinking of you all and praying for you as we go to worship with an Ocean between but God tying our hearts together.

    Love,

    CP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading one post at a time starting from day one and enjoying it. It is taking awhile though! :-) In the meantime, I'm kind of catching up with Kat through her comments. (Hi Kat, I'll be over at your blog tomorrow. As you well know, it's bedtime around here. I'm an hour earlier in England, so you should be fast asleep as I type and I should be heading to bed myself).

    OK, back to Art and the kittens... it's great to see how smoothly things are going there.

    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete