"Putting kids to bed is like herding cats" - Art

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On the road again

Today was Wednesday which means there is a 90% chance I am on the road for business travel. And today was not an exception to the rule. About 7.5 hours of what we call "windshield time" to do about 5 hours worth of business at 4 different customers. "Windshield" time is a great time to collect your thoughts, pray (with your eyes open of course) and read a book. Thankfully my "reading" is done via CD. Since I see my car more than my wife on travel days I decided to post a picture of it. OK it's not actually my car but it looks identical and I know the boys will love to see a car picture. Once after a long road trip I tried to compliment Kathleen by saying something about her looking better after me spending 8 hours in my car. Needless to say it didn't come out the way I thought it would. And do you know what? Kathleen knew what I meant and took it as a compliment. That's how lucky I am! And how much I miss her now... And miss those cold feet...


File:2005 Nissan Altima.jpg


Fortunately I left with complete confidence as the girls were in charge. They really, really are special kids (hopefully they won't get swelled heads by me saying it everyday). PopPop and Nana (Mrs PopPop) spent the afternoon and evening with the kids. I heard rumors of cookies and candy but surprisingly enough saw no evidence. The bulk of the daily life will have to posted by KK and Nana as they experienced it. And as I assigned it to them I'm sure they will be posting soon.

What I did experience first hand and can tell you about is that everyone was watching a Shirley Temple movie when I got home. I joined them for the ending and then we watched a Get Smart episode. Then I hustled the boys upstairs to get ready for bed. After prayers on their floor I corrected a great injustice by reading them the latest edition of Art's Chili. They were excited about the photos and the following snip it of conversion ensued in response to Mama's question:

>>>
Pa: Why do you think the toilet tank is near the ceiling?

Than: to save room
Aedan: I have no idea
Sam: I have no idea

Pa: Hint. Similar to mechanical ("advantage!" interjected by Than)

Than: the water goes down faster
Aedan and Sam together: I have no idea

Pa then demonstrates by dropping a plastic clothes hanger on each boys out stretched hand from a height of 2 inches and then 2 feet.

Sam: Neither one hurts
>>>>

The joy of homeschooling...

After the boys went to bed I helped Emma glue the doors together on her doll house while I ate dinner the girls set aside for me. I considered it a personal victory get anything done considering the late hour. Rome wasn't built in a day and this doll house has nearly as many parts as a small coliseum.



Ciao.

Chili's Art


PS. Hope I never, ever thought I would be blogging about our life to the world (or at least 9 people). But my wife had never been away for two weeks before and asked me to keep her up to date on the many happenings.

5 comments:

  1. What a great pa. I am amazed you were able to summon the energy to build even a door after such a long day! You and Kat are so much alike! ☺

    Fun post
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear! I can hear that conversation. You are doing a great job. It seems like everyone is getting their one on one even. And I don't see any reports of starvation, injury or social services. YOU GO PA! I felt so deprived not getting to read up on things last night. I feel much better now having my taste of home. Maybe we better add to our prayer list that the internet will stay up until I leave Italy.

    Hugs and Kisses to all the kittens.

    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - great job! BTW, the tank is near the ceiling in Argentina as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are doing a wonderful job at keeping all types of communication going between all the members of your wonderful and blessed household. I know Kat is super lucky to have you there so she can relax and know that everything is going smoothly!


    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a tremendous blessing that you are committed to blogging in order to keep Kat posted and for the other 3 of us. Just kidding. You will have a strong group of readers in no time. You have a gift with your writing just as your bride does. And more importantly, you bless those that read your story and see the love of Christ throughout.

    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete