"Putting kids to bed is like herding cats" - Art

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Leaping Lizards!



This post was supposed to go up Sunday night but time is like a vapor (or something like that) and I was falling asleep so I missed my publishing deadline. Good thing the staff editor is "out of office". So take a step back in time with me...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Today (Sunday) was one of those fall days that happens only a few times each year. The temperature was in the mid 70's all afternoon with blue sky and bright sunshine. It reminded me of that day a fews ago on November 4th when we had a spontaneous birthday party for Kaitlin so she could have an outdoor birthday for once in her life. It was perfect...

The day started off great also. I was a little worried about getting everything up in running in the am but God was gracious and I awoke early and got a good start on the day before any of the kids were up. I tell you I had things running like clockwork. Breakfast, get dressed, get in the car and go to church. Unfortunately my clock must of had a Daylight Saving Time hang-over and we still ended up 4 minutes late to church. At least I had a great excuse to fall back on.

Pastor Jonathon preached a great sermon on Achan and hidden sin. For his visual he brought in a cardboard box that contained something unknown. He dropped a few hints during the sermon about what was in the box but we were all quite surprised when he pulled out of the box a cage containing Katie's tarantula. Sin doesn't look to bad on the outside but it is dangerous and can greatly affect those around you.

After service we did a little visiting and found our way to CalTort. Not having Kathleen there completely threw us off our ordering routine and it seemed to take us nearly half an hour to figure out who was sharing what with whom. And the new cashiers were just no help either. Morgan where are you?

We came straight home after lunch and I sent the little ones in for a quick 1 hour nap so they could enjoy the bulk of the sunny afternoon. After Sam was tucked in bed he came running out saying one of his lizards had gotten out of the cage. KK went to check things out. She was thinking like me that one of the lizards was just hidden in the cage and Sam didn't see him. A few moments later I heard her yell "Pa" and I knew what I had been dreading since we first became lizard owners had come to pass; a lizard had escaped.

Miss Sally was on the window ledge in Sam's room also apparently enjoying the fall sunshine. It took a while for me to formula a plan since these lizards are not hand trained like our birds are. I put out a hopeful "who is good handling these guys?" wishing that KK would volunteer to capture our escapee. I am not a big fan of bugs, or insects or critters of any sort that are smaller than say a parakeet so I was really hoping to not have to do this. KK however gave a feeble "I only clean their cages and just put a cup over them so I don't really handle them" answer and I knew it was up to me. I grabbed various Tupperware items with lids and then we put clothes under the doors to seal off Sam's room. Of course with the choas every other child had to enter the room and the doors were opened many times. After a few misses we finally got the Tupperware over top of Miss Sally and then slid a piece of paper under her. We then dumped her back in the cage where she resumed her normally scheduled Sunday afternoon.


The Escapee (look closely)


The capture


After that little bit of fun we then got everyone back in bed for a quick snooze. One hour later we went out and enjoyed the weather.


Ellie steals the football!

Aedan perfects his riding without training wheels


It was a great fall afternoon and evening. We wrapped it up by getting some chinese for dinner.


Followed by a mean game of air hockey.

What a great day.

Ciao.

Chili's Art

10 comments:

  1. Outstanding!
    You must keep this blog going when Kat gets back. You're a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What excitement I am missing. Is that part of your new exercise program? (I didn't say that... Aunt Di did... but it is a good question!)

    Ellie is so adorable with the football. Of course, when isn't she adorable?

    I can't believe I missed Aedan on his bike! How good for him. I bet he was thrilled. You tell him I can't wait to see it in person. I am so proud of him. Give him and extra big proud mama hug from me!

    Good job getting everyone off to church. I missed sitting beside you and holding your hand on Sunday. It sounds like another wonderful sermon by Pastor Jonathan. The Lord has blessed him, and us, with the anointing of his words.

    Chinese was a brilliant idea but what I really want to know is who was brave enough to take on Elisabeth at air hockey?

    Love you all my darlings!

    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a really great, fall November day with all the kids in tow along with little Miss Sally and her great escape. The Chinese food looked really yummy and Ellie is a cutie holding the football.

    Great job to Aedan riding with two wheels. That's a great moment for a child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Pa has it all under control.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. nana says:I plead the fifth...

    than says: that chinese was yummy! let's do that again!

    Love,
    2 of the 7 peppers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I awarded you,Pa. See my blog for details
    -kk

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an active afternoon…and fun to read about, too! I had a good laugh picturing the lizard episode.

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  8. ♫Happy Birthday, Allen!♫

    I always think it is interesting to see things from a man's point of view, so if you are so inclined to write more...I would love to read what you have on your mind.

    ☺ Hope

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Happy Birthday. And we all want you to keep up the blog!

    ReplyDelete